During a university course, an internship or a stay abroad are now commonplace. Even if the stay has a scholarship, many costs remain the responsibility of the student and his family. To face it, there are solutions!
A departure abroad means first of all expenses. If only to buy his train or plane ticket. So as not to be surprised, you must budget everything.
The elements to be evaluated, as precisely as possible, are:
– travel: tickets, baggage fees and airport taxes;
– housing: rent, deposit, insurance (maybe mandatory), possibly subscriptions for electricity and water, unless these costs are included in the rent (a check point);
– registration fees to attend classes on site;
– health insurance in the event of illness or accident;
– pocket money to live, eat, go out, move during the stay.
To improve daily life, if their schedule allows you, some students plan to complete it with a small job on site. Before leaving, find out about the work opportunities open to foreigners in the city where you will be staying.
Some students who go to do an internship or pursue a part of their studies abroad, can benefit from financial aid:
– National Education,
– Crous (regional center of university and school works),
– the Regional Council of the student’s place of residence or of his parents,
– the Erasmus program if the stay is organized within the framework of this European program.
The scholarship application usually depends on the income of the student or his family, his level of education and sometimes his motivation to go abroad.
Do not self-censor. Make requests for financial aid all over the place. You have nothing to lose !
And to complete your budget, you can complete your financing with a project loan. It is a question of borrowing a fixed sum, for example to finance for sure the rent and the insurances (health, hiring). This type of loan has two major advantages:
– this allows to borrow only the bare necessities;
– you will be sure to be properly lodged and protected during your stay.
In addition, to keep total control over your budget, everything is determined in advance:
– the amount of capital borrowed;
– the interest rate (which is always fixed);
– the annual percentage rate of charge (APR);
– miscellaneous expenses.
The amount and duration of repayment monthly payments are calculated in relation to the subscriber’s repayment capacity.
In order not to increase the monthly payments during the stay abroad, the repayment period can be extended after the return to France.